Friday, October 11, 2019

Google Form Add Ons, Accessibility Audits, and SSL

So these were my three main points of focus this week:


  1. As I finished up GamePlan this year, I needed to send out the assessment survey. I'm not a real big fan of sending the survey out the week after the quiz and the program should really be over, and I think it hurts my response rate just a bit. So this year, I got 43 out of 114 back, so just over 37%, not that great. The year before I a little over 50%, and I think that was due to the fact that I would just send them straight to a survey after the form. With the move to a Google Quiz this year, I had lost that option. So I was talking with a fellow football official who makes use of Google Forms at his work and he mentioned there is a number fo Google Form add ons. I ended up using one that was authorized by our Google Site Admins. What a time-saver, it now sends out a follow-up email after the quiz is submitted. I'm going to be curios next year where my response rate on the survey will come in at.
  2. Doing some work on our web site to improve the accessibility, I had been using the WAVE tool extension, and then Mike mentioned to also use the Google Developer Audit for Accessibility, I went with Mike's tool and our main page had a score of like 65, not that great, but with the addition of some alt tags to our photos, and some aria-labels to the search boxes, I was able to get the score up to an 86. The last two items that need to be fixed really can not be changed right now. I did notice the WAVE tool was able to also check the javascript hidden panels, where the Developer audit only did what was on the screen. Most likely I will continue to use both in conjunction with each other.
  3. Finally, in working on a "Best Practices" libguide, I was reminded of our need to get all of our guides to only contain content from SSL servers. At some point soon, libguides is going to force all of our content to be from SSL, it's time to get a jump on these guides and correct them. Now I just also need to convince some of the library producers of our libguides to limit linking to images coming from SSL servers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment